Friday, May 1, 2020

Jersey Girls

It's been quite a while since I posted. I've been busy making masks. I have actually had a lot to post about, but never seemed to have time. I do realize that "having time" is a choice, but that's a topic for another day.

So, let's get started.

Leah generously shared her amazing collection of jersey with several of us in the mask-making group. Wikipedia defines jersey as follows:
  • Jersey is a knit fabric used predominantly for clothing manufacture. It was originally made of wool, but is now made of wool, cotton, and synthetic fibers.
I have no quibble with this definition. It covers a lot of ground, or perhaps I should say yardage.

And Susan generously shared some elegant fabric from her stash. I am eager to get to work.

I received two types of jersey. One type is a soft, lightweight ribbed knit. The ribs are very fine, about 20 to an inch. The other type of jersey is a strong, stretchy lycra-type fabric.

I have been using old t-shirts, and I am starting to run out, so I am excited to be able to augment my supply, and maybe get some colors I don't have.

What I do with t-shirts is this:
  1. Cut a 1-inch strip.
  2. Pull hard on the strip to stretch it. It will roll up and stretch out, but it will spring back part way.
  3. Measure and cut. Voila! Mask ties. So easy.
Here's what happened with the ribbed jersey. First, I had to decide which direction to cut. It seemed to stretch when I pulled perpendicularly to the ribs. It did not stretch at all when I pulled in the direction of the ribs. So I cut across the ribs.

After I pulled to stretch out the strips, I got this:
It became narrower, very thin, and no longer stretchy. It did not snap back. It doesn't seem sturdy enough to use for masks.

Next, I tried cutting in the direction of the ribs. I got straps which are acceptable, though not elastic in the least. (I couldn't decide whether to take photos in the sun or shade, so the colors are looking different. Apologies.)

I finished two masks using the parallel-to-the rib ties. I like these ties. They make the mask lighter, and the bulk is reduced at the point where the ties are sewn into the seam. And such gorgeous fabric!

I am happy with the way these turned out. However, I don't think this ribbed jersey will be suitable for the Eldenberry-style masks I am planning to make. Comments?

I would appreciate any suggestions from others on sewing with jersey, especially since I haven't tried the lycra yet. And I haven't washed these masks yet, though I plan to do so today.

Mask up!

1 comment:

  1. Rib knit and jersey knit are two different things. As you have found, rib fabric won't curl like jersey fabric does. That is because of the structure of the knit. Cutting the rib lengthways looks like it works OK, if you don't need stretch.

    ReplyDelete