Friday, July 31, 2015

Dogwood Crossing - July 2015 BOM

The "kit" for this month's block contains the usual pieces of fabric and instructions.


Page 1
Page 2
Finally, we are back to some yellow and a lighter green.
The cutting this month was tricky. It was not a simple case of following the template. Some of the pieces called for two template cuts and one of the pieces had you using only a portion of the template.  Maybe that's why I couldn't get the pieces to line up properly.
Not a happy camper about this

If you look very closely at the photo above you will see that the cream colored background is not solid. It is a watercolor print with yellow accents, but the color gradations are so subtle that it's very hard to see. Why bother?

 I was able to force all of the other seams to line up, and by ripping out and resewing some of the seams, I was able to get the points to come out nicely.

Again, the problem with the directional print appears. I have learned from this.  :(

Lesson learned:

Lay it out before sewing. If I had done so, I would have then done a better job matching the green triangles to the green rhombuses, especially at the North and East positions on the ends of the green cross. This is not a place where you want contrast.
 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I'm in awe.

    But...why didn't they TELL you about the directional issue/lining up triangles and rhombuses (rhombi?? either way, it's a GREAT word that people other than geometry teachers don't get to use very often).

    I think a "heads up" was in order! But...still lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they didn't tell me because I made a substitution and replaced a non-directional print with a directional. That's what I learned from this - one needs to be careful about using directional prints.

      Delete