Thursday, August 27, 2015

Knight and Day - August 2015 BOM

After taking Rayna's class on making art quilts without measuring or using rulers, it's interesting to get back to this type of project, which calls for a lot of precision and goes very slowly.
Speaking of precision, I found this one rather difficult because there are some spots where there are so many layers of fabric that it's hard to get a nice crisp point. I actually like the appearance of the block, but it's not an easy block to do, and maybe it shouldn't be done at all. There are so many other possible blocks that won't present this type of challenge.

Despite my best efforts, and my seam ripper's best efforts, there was a palpable lump wherever two points came together. In some cases the lump itself made it hard to match up the points because the fabric wouldn't lie flat at the site of the lump.
Examples of problem areas
Maybe it would be better to avoid patterns with a design that has too many layers of fabric in one spot. Or maybe I need to pin and sew more carefully?

I did get to try out a partial seam technique on the center star of this block. It really wasn't that hard.

My final comment has to do with the colors. I would have tried to put some of that beautiful yellow fabric into this block. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like when all 12 blocks are done.

Lesson learned: 
Avoid blocks that are technically difficult if little imperfections bother you.

1 comment: