Tuesday, December 26, 2017

On Ringo Lake, Part Five - Keeping My Feet Wet

I managed to do hardly any quilting this weekend. Just enough to keep my feet wet. It was another week for flying geese in the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. Lots and lots of them. (Here's a link to On Ringo Lake, Week Five.) 

I just started cutting without really thinking. Just mindlessly following the directions as to cutting size. Forgetting that the Simple Folded Corners Ruler had alternate directions. Forgetting that "folded corners = flying geese". Not remembering until I had made a bunch of unacceptable flying geese.

I had used the SFC Oversized Method for week three, which wasn't exactly flying geese, so it took a while for the little light bulb to go on. You have to think about using the Oversized Method BEFORE you start cutting.

So here are some pieces that turned out okay:
"Honk, Honk!" they said

I am sure I will be able to make quite a few more before Friday. 
These large squares will be cut diagonally to make large triangles for the oversized Method.


Is it just my imagination, or does this year's mystery quilt have a lot more pieces than previous Bonnie Hunter mysteries? 

The rest of the story, since Vireya asked:
This is where it was stashed. Bad idea!
It just doesn't want to lie flat any more.
I tried ironing the mat on the lowest setting (before the photo above was taken). It helped somewhat. I need to keep working on it. The worst that can happen is I can ruin the mat, right? 😉 

Lessons Learned:
  • Before cutting all the fabric, make a few samples. Or, review all prior instructions carefully. 

1 comment:

  1. Shame about the mat! At least your geese are looking good.

    ReplyDelete