Monday, December 11, 2017

On Ringo Lake, Part Three - In Over My Head

I did not quite finish the many pieces mandated for Week Two. I spent way too much time ripping out and re-doing. I had to re-sew 40 to 50% of my pieces because 1) I am a perfectionist, and 2) the pieces were slipping too much when I sewed them.  I tried pinning. It didn't help much. I tried using more pins. That only helped marginally.  I tried pinning more "strategically." I tried adjusting the presser foot. I tried sewing faster and sewing slower.  I don't know why this was so hard for me. The pieces were fairly small, and I think that magnified any discrepancies. Whatever the problem, it was very frustrating.

I told myself I would try another method when I finished using all the pieces I had already cut. I know I didn't have to do that. I could have just stopped using the already-cut pieces. I could have started to cut new pieces using a different method before I had used up all the old pieces. But I did not want to throw out perfectly usable pieces, so I just kept on keeping on.

When I finished up the pieces I had cut in advance, I switched to the Oversized Method. This method is described in the instructions that come with the Simple Folded Corners Ruler.  
This is what the Oversized Method yields, before trimming. I have drawn a blue box to show the trim lines. Notice how forgiving this method is.
Up to this point I had resisted the this method because I thought there would be a lot of wasted fabric. Once I started using the Oversized Method, and I began to understand it, it became clear that this method didn't waste any more fabric than the No Trim/Exact Size Method, which is the other method described in the instructions for the SFC Ruler. (If you really care about not wasting fabric, Bonnie Hunter also describes a no-waste method, using the Essential Triangle Tool, in the instructions for Week Two.)

I think I have found something that really works for me! Not only does the Oversizde Method seem to minimize ripping out seams and re-doing, I am finding that I can use it successfully WITHOUT ANY PINNING. And, as a bonus, it is not necessary to cut the corner pieces with extreme precision because you will be trimming them later. (You should still be fairly careful, but you don't have to be extraordinarily careful.) So I am getting my pieces done much faster.

That's a really good thing because Week Three's pieces also have folded corners, and there are even more pieces this week than last week. Here is your link to Week Three: On Ringo Lake, Part Three


Some of my finished pieces. How will they fit together?
I am also working very carefully with these pieces because I want to make sure I pay attention to the directionality. I am making twelve at a time so I can keep track of things.

Despite the method breakthrough I am still way behind on my Week Three pieces because I spent a lot of time on Friday visiting fabric shops. I needed more melon and neutral fabrics. I did well. I got more of one of the neutral fabrics I had bought as an experiment, and I got several new fabrics which either recently arrived or which I had previously overlooked. Whatever, I am happy! Pretty new fabrics!
I love this one so much I don't know if I can bring myself to cut it

Lessons Learned:
  • There may be more than one method to cut and sew a particular piece such as the Flying Geese
  • If one method isn't working well, or is a lot of work, keep trying other methods. I tried a total of four methods for Flying Geese.
  •  When you have a lot of interruptions, it is helpful to break complicated work down into bite-size pieces.

7 comments:

  1. I need to look into the oversize method for geese--thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your part 3 pieces are pretty. I wasn't going to get another tool but after your description I may have to give it a try. My geese are frustrating me as well but I already cut them all so will work through those. Thanks for sharing your frustration and solution. I love these link ups, I learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think each of us has a way that's going to work for us, and it's important to try all the ways in order to find "the one". Sometimes it's as simple as trying a different presser foot, sometimes it's a whole different ruler technique. Good for you for persisting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to get one of those rulers! The clue 3 units are pretty challenging—I was afraid I would end up with all of them going the same direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your units look awesome! My units certainly aren't perfect but they did come out better than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to investigate the "oversized" method, as I had so many units that were just not quite right.

    ReplyDelete