Monday, December 24, 2018

Essential Geometry - Good Fortune, Part 5


I decided I really don't like that blue-and-white-cracked-eggshell fabric. I probably won't use it any more in this quilt. The blue-on-blue-cracked -eggshell doesn't bother me, though.
This week we made squares out of triangles. Two small triangles (neutral and orange) to make a larger triangle, and then the resulting triangle plus a larger blue triangle to make a square - three triangles total. I had to make half of the squares in a mirror image layout, so it did involve a little thinking.

I used my rotary cutter a lot. I think I might need a new blade, even though I put a new blade in when I started this Good Fortune project. I googled this and the consensus seems to be that a blade will last for one quilt/project, so I'm going to keep going with the same blade for now.

Overall, this week's assignment went more slowly than I was expecting. Cutting had to be very precise, as did the sewing. (Did I develop some bad habits during string piecing?) I used the Essential Triangle Tool, though other methods were also included in the instructions.

An extra step, not on Bonnie Hunter's directions: I had to trim each finished square. They were all a tiny bit large. I also had about a 10% do-over rate for square or triangles I just wasn't satisfied with.

I have finished about 1/4 of the required pieces, and I have another 1/4 partially finished. Here is a link to Bonnie's Mystery Link-up, Part 5 to see all the fun colors that others have chosen and all the fun fabrics that those of using Bonnie's colors have found.






























Lessons learned:
  • When cutting out triangles, the direction of your cut makes a difference. Start at the "skinny" end. If you start at the other end, the fabric will move when you get to the skinny end.

2 comments:

  1. Your units are looking good! Lots of pretty fabrics.

    I hadn't heard the "new project, new blade" idea before. I get a lot more than one project per blade in my cutter. I may take a bit too long to change them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goodness, I'm doomed on the 'new project new blade' thing - I'm always cutting for half a dozen projects at the same time. (At least!) I have the same problem with changing needles on my sewing machine - how do you put a new needle in at the start of a new project when you're simultaneously working on more than five projects?
    Love your colors! You've got some gorgeous ones, there! (Your blues are making me drool!)

    ReplyDelete