Wednesday, December 19, 2018

String Theory - Good Fortune, Part 4

This week we are making orange pieces for the mystery quilt. Bonnie Hunter recommends using the string piecing technique. Should I be worried?

It was EASY and it was FUN. I didn't really know what it was, but it turns out that I had used this method once before, in Rayna Gilman's class, and I blogged about it here: Reinventing the Secret Garden.

The great thing about string piecing is you don't have to measure with exactness, you don't have to cut with exactness, and you don't have to sew with exactness. This adds up to a FAST process.

Bonnie added a very interesting twist to string piecing. She uses pages from an old phone book as a base for sewing the pieces together. Again, no measuring, etc. Do take a look at Bonnie's Mystery Link-up to see what others are doing: Week 4 Link-up

I was amazed that it was so easy to sew on phone book pages and even to iron them. And Bonnie thought this through really well. She suggested using a larger needle and smaller stitches to make it easier to tear off the paper later. 
Here some strips that have been sewn onto phone book paper. They will be trimmed into three blocks each.

I had about 10 or 12 different orange fabrics. I thought that would be enough variety, but it probably isn't. I have used 5 or 6 different fabrics in each piece. I felt like all of my string sets were too similar. It will be hard to tell until the final mystery clue is revealed. It might not be a problem at all.
These orange blocks demanded that I store them in an orange box.
I made some wonky strips. These strips looked a lot less wonky when I cut the block into three pieces and the strips became very short. I had to be careful that they didn't get too narrow or too wide at the ends.
Wonk, wonk
I also made some wonky blocks by trimming them at a slant. I'm not sure if these will look good in the final quilt. I don't think I'm going to make any more of these. Yes, I admit, I didn't finish this easy-clue-week assignment. I had to put all my sewing stuff away last night because we are having people over tonight for a big open house. If you must now, I haven't finished any of the previous weeks either, although this week I came the closest to finishing thanks to the ease of the string piecing method.

Lessons learned:
  • Don't be afraid to try new techniques
  • Sometimes quick and inexact is good
  • If you plan to do string piecing, you may need more fabrics than you think
  • Don't throw out your old phone books!

2 comments:

  1. They look good!

    I don't know how long it is since we've had phone books. I did throw out an old one when I moved house 4 years ago. Too late to regret it now! I would have thought the ink would come off the pages onto the fabric, especially when you ironed them, but maybe your phone books use better ink than ours used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ink did not come off. I used a dry iron because I thought steam might make the ink come off.

      Delete