Monday, December 28, 2015

Adagio! - Allietare Week Five

Adagio! Slowly! I expected this week's sewing to go really fast because all the cutting had already been done. But . . .

I started laying out the 4-patch squares and I soon remembered that I had made the squares during the very first week. At that time I didn't have a feel for where this project was going and I only used four or five neutrals. In Week One I only made half the number of pieces I needed, and I told myself I could always buy more neutrals to use for the rest of the little squares once I had a better idea of what I wanted to do.

As I started to lay out the little 4-patch blocks "randomly," I realized that 1) I now had several additional neutrals, 2) none of the new neutrals were going to be in the 4-patch blocks because I made the half-square triangles before I bought the additional neutrals, and 3) if I didn't make some more half-square triangles right away, using my new neutrals, my blocks would not be random and might not look right.

So the first detour was to cut out a lot more triangles and sew them together into gray + neutral squares. 

The second detour was forgetting that I needed to cut the triangles with the strips with the RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER because I didn't LOOK AT THE DIRECTIONS because I can remember how to do something I did four weeks ago, right? I ended up with all my neutral triangles going one way and my gray triangles going the same way, which meant that when I put them right-side-together they didn't match up. So, I cut some more. Adagio! Slow down!

Then I substituted some of the new squares in the 4-patch blocks which I had  laid out. With this much effort going into it, it's not truly random, but I was really going for more of an "evenly dispersed" look. I wanted most blocks to have some of the original neutrals and some of the newer neutrals. I wanted to avoid having a large number of blocks with only the original neutrals. The original neutrals were all very subtle, tone-on-tone mostly. The newer fabrics were a little more "daring," if you know what I mean. Thus, it would be really obvious, I think, if I didn't spread the wealth around.

Third detour: When I finally started making the 4-patch blocks, my machine started eating them. Lots of stopping and ripping out. I changed to my straight-stitch needle plate. That helped, but it doesn't completely avoid the problem. I googled "sewing machine eating fabric and I found a great list of things to try HERE. I like the idea of using a scrap of fabric to get started.

Fourth detour: I sewed five sets of squares together and stopped to check them out. Ooops. I did not pin them before I sewed them and I had a lot of slippage on all five pieces. Thanks to Becca I now know that it is legal to throw bad pieces away and just make new ones, but I don't want my seam ripper to get rusty or something, so I think I'll just do this the hard way.

A detour from the detours:
Before going further, I would like to share another photo (from our trip to Italy) that resembles the pieces we are making this week. This was taken in Pisa. I think one of Bonnie's photos was taken at the same building, but from a different angle.
 

I finally got the hang of this week's "assignment," and now I have half of my pieces done.
 
I did the Stitch and Flip part, and it worked the first time! Amazing!
 

This is probably all I'm going to do this week because I am getting ready to go on vacation and I have lots to do. I don't know if I'll have time to do anything on Week Six before we leave, but I'll try. I'm really sorry to have to miss the rest of the quilt-along. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of everyone's progress.

Before I go, here is the link to Mystery Monday Link-Up Part 5. It is really fun to see what fabrics others have chosen. I have yet to see ANY of my fabrics used by anyone else.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo. You can really see the texture of the marble and for the first time I could see the exact design we are making around the central flower. Previously I had only seen the larger gray triangles around the large square. BTW I am having exactly the same issues as you with things slipping, etc. I now use a fork pin at the middle intersection and that helps. I think because we have to lead with the underside seam forward (instead of how Bonnie describes leading with that seam on top), things don't butt up as well and the feed dogs are working at cross purposes to our efforts. Your finished blocks look great. Have a fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tried to nest the seams the way Bonnie showed us, with the top seam pointing towards the needle. I tried flipping the piece over but I couldn't orient it so the seam would go that way, so I just sewed. I stopped for a break about halfway through and when I resumed,I flipped the pieces over and for some reason it was oriented the right way this time.

      Delete
  2. There are no hard and fast rules that work all the time for every quilt. Just do the best you can :) Great photo from Pisa! Yes, that is an inspiration, but we are not making that exact block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting thougth... how many millions of quilting fabrics are in the world, if we are hundreds of us sewing the same pattern and non of our fabrics has repeats in other quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grey is really mirroring the texture of the building's marble, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is a beautiful photo, though I do hope we don't have to make itty-bitty little triangles within triangles LOL

    ReplyDelete