Monday, December 21, 2015

Avanti! - Allietare Week Four

Avanti! Moving forward!

I was struck by Bonnie's photo of the striped church in Cinque Terre.

Here are a few of the photos we took of the magnificent cathedral in Orvieto, with that same distinctive black and white striping:



 

Did you notice the colors?
 


So. Week Four. Here is the link to Mystery Monday Link-Up Part 4.

I have completed half of the pieces I need. The seams didn't always match up well. I need to be more careful when sewing the half square triangles onto the trapezoids. I wasn't pinning them. It saved a lot of time, but sometimes the pieces slipped and I didn't notice. If I find any that are seriously out of alignment, I will redo them.

I used only one black fabric for all of the pieces. I did this because I misread the directions. I actually like the way it looks, so I'm glad.

Today - 5 hours and 28 minutes of daylight
Sunrise 10:14 am
Sunset  3:41 pm

Today we are turning the corner. Tomorrow we start gaining light!

9 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Great photos! Thanks for sharing, love those columns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing those beautiful photos from Italy. The mosaic work on that column is amazing!

    Longest day here today, so our light is going to be leaving us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Cathedral! your mystery is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pbotos. Blocks looking good. I had the same problem with fabric zlipping. At first I pinned but it slowed me down so I stopped pinning. Then I had the slipping problem. I redid those. Eventually I got better by going slower and using a stiletto.

    I used to travel to England on business. Once it was in December and the days were almost as short as you mentioned. I guess you get used to it. Happy Winter Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Interesting that you thought I lived in England. I live about 10° farther north than London - in Alaska.

      Delete
  5. Love the cathedral photos!!!!!
    That's what I do not like about traditional quilting: Being exact. Come to think of it, that's what I don't like about cooking, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided that I would rather finish a quilt than make it perfect. I rarely rip. I am more likely to make a new unit than I am to rip and fix one. Looking great and I love the photo reference. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to become more like you someday - ripping out less, finishing more quilts.

      Delete