Monday, December 14, 2015

Allietare!

I am not going to start any new projects until I finish some of my unfinished ones.
I am not going to start any new projects until I finish some of my unfinished ones.
I am not going to start any new projects until I finish some of my unfinished ones.
 
Well, I was surfing the "quilternet" and I found a project that really intrigued me. I was NOT looking for a new project. It is a mystery quilt-along by Bonnie Hunter called Allietare! Here is a link to it: Allietare Intro

Allietare is Italian for "to gladden, delight, or cheer up. "

I just couldn't stop thinking about this quilt-along and it made me feel glad and cheerful.

I like the idea of a mystery.

I like the idea of working with a color palette that I don't usually use.

I like the idea of using paint chips to shop for fabric.

I like being able to use fabric that I picked out. I like the opportunity to experiment with many different prints.

I like the idea of having something to do when my BOM program ends next week. (I have decided not to continue with the BOM program in 2016.

I like the clear and detailed instructions.

I like the idea of being able to see what others are doing with the same pattern.

I love the idea of taking inspiration from your travels - in this case, Tuscany. (I had recently started to think about this after seeing Nancy's work with hand-dyed yarn inspired by her travels: Fireweed Dye Works).

I love the idea of working on a project that I am very excited about.

You guessed it. I have started Allietare!
  
I didn't find this project until it had been up and running for a week and a half. I hesitated to start for fear of not being able to catch up. But then I read Bonnie Hunter's encouragement to do as much as you can every week and then shift to the new clue even if you haven't finished the old one. That took a lot of (self-imposed)pressure off me. 

The instructions are for a quilt 82" x 96". That's more than I want to commit to, so I am going to make half as many pieces to end up with a half-size quilt. For now I am just going to make half of the half - until I get caught up.
My first step was to go to the hardware store and get the paint chips suggested by Bonnie Hunter. It was fun. I love paint chips. The colors are amazing, and I love the names of the colors. 

The next step was getting some fabric. Some people have a big stash and they can just pull fabric from their stash and start sewing. I have practically no stash, so I get to go to the fabric store. I just happened to have some good coupons for Jo-Ann, so that seemed like a good place to start. 

Here is what I got: 
Some reds and golds
Some blacks, and ONE gray, which will be the constant fabric
(The gray got a little washed out in the camera flash)
Several neutrals
This is going to be so much fun. I am delighted!

1 comment:

  1. That does look fun, but I'm going to wait for YOUR mystery quilt that your upcoming trip to half the world will inspire.

    ReplyDelete